Safety begins at home
Household cleaners and chemicals we use every day can be harmful to our health or the environment or both – even products marketed as natural, organic or environmentally friendly. Follow these simple steps to stay safe.
Know what you’re using
- Always read the product label.
- Learn the common warning symbols.
- Find out how to properly use the product and protect yourself.
- Keep products in the packaging they came in.
Use with care
- Never mix substances together.
- Clean up any spills quickly.
- Check the expiry date and dispose of products that are out of date.
- Don’t put chemicals in the rubbish or down drains.
Put it up or lock it up
- Put containers away as soon as you’ve finished.
- Close lids tightly and use child-proof fasteners on cupboards.
- Keep substances locked up or out of sight in a high place.
For more information, visit www.epa.govt.nz/saferhomes